This section contains a selection of useful links to further resources, guidance bodies and funding support which may be useful in planning your event. Follow the links to these resources in the left hand panel.


Some events need the assistance of volunteers to help on the day. You can read the Your Team section for further information and advice on managing volunteers, alongside the useful links below;

Volunteering England

Do It volunteering website 

Know How Non Profit: useful guidance for not for profit organisations

National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO)


ACAS is an organisation devoted to preventing and resolving employment disputes. Visit the site for information on staff management & employment, disputes, contracts of employment, rights on pay, training for employers etc.

Voluntary Arts Network - information on ‘Running Your Own Group’


Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA) Information about permissions for events affecting Civil Aviations. If you need advice, call the Enquiries Team on 01293 573725.

If you have a balloon launch of over 5000 balloons or any firework display, email details of your event to and they will reply with advice and acknowledgement.

Performing Rights Society (PRS)

Consult the information in the section “For Music Users” to read more about the licenses and permissions required for having live music.

Phonographic Performers Ltd (PPL)

Consult the information in the section “For Music Users” to read more about the licenses and permissions required for playing recorded music & videos in public

Event Management


Some activities at your event will require you to have Security Industry Authority (SIA) licensed security personnel, particularly if you are selling or serving alcohol.

You can get more information from the SIA website 

Balloon launches

Balloon launches can be harmful to the environment. Before you consider a launch, read the “Balloon Code of Conduct” devised by Oxford City Council and download the “Don’t Let Go” leaflet to help you to have a more green approach to balloon launches.


If you have anyone or any organisation working with children it’s advisable that you consider choosing someone with a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check and have children’s procedures for the sake of safety for that child.

Noise control

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have created a “Code of Practice on Environmental Noise Control at Concerts”. It was created in 1985, so a bit out of date, but still contains good advice.

Responsible procurement

Read about London’s policy to use local and small business suppliers and goods.

Remember that your event is classified as a “work place” for the duration and all health and safety laws apply.

RIDDOR reports

The HSE explains how employers, the-self employed and those in control of premises must report specified workplace incidents here.

Places of entertainment

The Association of British Theatre Technicians (ABTT) have published a book, “Technical Standards for Places of Entertainment” which looks at technical requirements to ensure the safety of the public, staff and performers in places of entertainment such as theatres, cinemas, discotheques, night-clubs and concert halls.

Emergency Planning College

This is the UK Government website for emergency planning training for wide-ranging national emergencies. Information on specific training in crowd safety a festivals and mass gathering is available on the Emergeny Planning College website.

Health and Safety

Health and safety tips

The Health and Safety Tips website offers downloads, useful information and a forum to discuss health and safety issues for a beginners.

Bouncy castles and inflatables

PIPA is the safety certificate for inflatable play equipment. Visit the PIPA website to get an understanding of the PIPA certificate.

HSE information on Inflatables.

Emergency planning

There are websites that give you information about emergency planning in London.

London Prepared has several downloads available and information on dealing with emergencies.

London Emergency Services Liaison Panel (LESLP) have produced a booklet about Major Incident planning that can be downloaded.

Both of these sites will help you realise that the safety of your event is part of the safety of London.

First aid

Don’t forget, your event is classified as a work place. For information about first aid at work visit this section of the Toolkit and the HSE website.

Several organisations can provide first aid to your event including St John’s Ambulance and Red Cross or use a search engine to look for “event first aid” on line.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the national independent watchdog for work-related health, safety and illness.

As an independent regulator, HSE act in the public interest to reduce work-related death and serious injury across Great Britain’s workplaces.  Part of this role has led to the publication of a number of useful guidance documents and reports, some of which have become key documents for the safe running of events.

A selection of these key publications can be found to download from the window to the left. Please also visit the Downloads section for further useful documents from the HSE.

The Event Safety Guide (The Purple Guide)

This HSE publication provides ‘tried and tested’ advice on effective health and safety at music and other similar events.  Primary sections include venue and site design, fire procedures and major incident planning.  Please note that a revised edition of this publication is due to be released in 2012, in advance of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

5 Steps to Risk Assessment

This HSE leaflet aims to help you assess health and safety risks in
the workplace, which in this context will most often be your event site.
The leaflet aims to assist you in the process of assessing risk, helping you focus on the risks that really matter in your workplace – the ones with the potential to cause real harm.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment – Open Air Events and Venues

An HSE publication focusing on all aspects of Fire Safety.  Specific event types this guide is suitable for include fireworks displays, music concerts and markets.