At any event attended by children, there is the potential for them to become separated from their parents or responsible adult. In accordance with the 2003 Licensing Act and the protection of children from harm, we encourage you to give full consideration to how children will be protected during your event, and to the safe management of lost children.
If children are likely to attend your event, you should obtain a CRB check for all staff working supervised, or unsupervised, with either young children or vulnerable adults. If a CRB check is not available, you may be able to liaise with your local Police representative to conduct a Police Check for any past history.
You should provide a staffed lost children’s point throughout your event and include a policy for the management of Lost Children within your Event Plan. In order to safeguard the welfare of a lost/found child and to protect staff, the following protocol is provided as an example policy which should be in place at all events.
Example Lost Childrens Policy
An agreed Collection Point will available at the event, which will be next to the event’s Welfare or Information point.
If lost children, parents separated from their children, vulnerable adults or personal assistants of vulnerable adults arrive at other points or speak to a member of staff or steward they should be directed or taken to the collection point as appropriate.
Children or vulnerable adults found without their parents
- A child or vulnerable adult appearing to be lost should be approached and asked if they know where their parents/ guardian are.
- If a child or vulnerable adult still appears to be lost they should be led to the collection point, where they will be encouraged to remain until they have been re-united with a parent or guardian.
- The child or vulnerable adult should gently be asked for as much information as possible, including, their name, who they are with, their parents/ guardians/ persona assistant/ brother etc names, where they last saw them and a description of their them. If the child is brought over by another adult, as much information as possible should be gained from them.
- The information will be given to Security Control via 2-way radio, who will then organise a search.
- If the parent/ guardian /personal assistant’s name is known an announcement will be made via the PA system “This is a public announcement, could ….. (Name of person) please come to the collection point located at the Welfare Tent.
- If the name of the parent /guardian /personal assistant is not known the following announcement will be made via stage PA systems “This is a public announcement, please remember this is a busy event, if you have been separated from a family member, then please go to the collection point located in the welfare tent”.
- The PA announcement should not mention the name of the lost child.
- Radio code for a child or person found without parent or guardian is “[insert event specific code word]” (example, Welfare to security we have a “[insert event specific code word]” at the Welfare tent, details as follows…)
- Radio code for a parent/guardian reporting a child or person missing is “[insert event specific code word]”.
- If a parent /carer /personal assistant is not located with 30 minutes, Security Control will inform the police.
Parent/ Guardian /Personal Assistants reporting lost children
- Reassure parent/ guardian/ personal assistant informing you of a lost child, that a search will be organised.
- Encourage the parent to come to the collection point if not already there, so they can give details. Ask them for the following details of the child or vulnerable adult – name, age, sex, ethnic origin, hair colour, build, clothing, location last seen and who they were with.
- Encourage the parent to regularly return to the collection point if they continue to search for the child, in case the child is found.
- Using the code word “[insert event specific code word]” radio a message to security control and all staff on radio giving the information gathered.
- Security and staff will conduct an initial search of the area.
- If the child or vulnerable person is not found the Event Management will organise a thorough sweep of the whole site including security and staff.
- When the child or vulnerable person is found, they will be lead to the collection point to be re-united with their parent.
- If a child or vulnerable person is not found within 30 minutes Security Control will inform the police.
Re-uniting Parent /Personal Assistants with Children /Vulnerable Adults
- If a child or vulnerable adult is reluctant to go with a collecting adult then the adult should be asked for proof of ID and their signature. If necessary the police may be advised on any problems.
- Once a child or vulnerable adult has been re-united with their collecting adult all stewards, security, staff and police will be informed immediately.
Lost persons log
- All lost persons / children’s incidents must be logged and filed.